Tuesday 25 September 2012

The human body is only a container?


Throughout last week I kept coming back and thinking about my original approach to the brief, and through researching various artists that worked with space and the human form, such as Antony Gormley and to a lesser extent, Hans Bellmer, my ideas changed dramatically. 
I began toying with two different ideas, the first being the relationship between the human body and the space it occupies, while the second idea involved looking at the body as a container which holds a person’s physical internal space, as well as their 'imaginary internal landscape'.

At this time, I am focusing on the aspect of seeing the human body as a container, and the various things that it protects (or restricts). While researching, I came across photographs depicting mediums and paranormal ectoplasm. This led me to consider the idea of the soul and how it could be represented in the physical world. How would the soul react if it was leaving the body and entering the outside world without the protection of skin, bone and muscle?
What could I use to represent the soul? I considered different materials such as tape from a cassette, rubbish/garbage, vines and electrical wire

 I decided to begin making quick sculptures of hands and legs out of masking tape and cling film.



Print of a drawing of hands in my sketchbook. This is one of the things that inspired me to pursue this idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment