Wednesday 17 October 2012

(Chicken) wire experiment #2


As a side project this week, I have been experimenting with chicken wire. I have mostly been crushing and twisting it into tubes and attempting to work with it once it’s in this shape. I have attached around 9 meters together into a single 'tube' (I've cut it in meters and cut it into lengths of 3 each time). I then twisted it into a coil around my arm, and once removed and released, it curls. 

Using chicken wire on its own is a strange experience, it’s a harsh (and sharp!) material with a mind of its own per say. Once I released it off my arm, it assumed a shape that barely resembles that shape that I twisted it into. It is this reason that I am experimenting with it, it occupies space differently than many other materials that I have used to date. 
It has an almost organic flow to the way it falls that I find interesting. It reminds me of the roots of a mechanical/industrial tree or vines.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment