Thursday 18 October 2012

Confined space development explained

My concept of creating the sense of an open space in a man made confined space has developed since building the prototype. I have decided on specific mesurements based on the information I learned fro the prototype.

After my blog review with my tutors, I have realised that I have not been clear on where I am going and most of my previous posts don't tie in together. I hope to create an instillation style piece as I feel like this method would display this piece effectively.

  • Texture - I have been working and experimenting with texture as a method of making of making the inside of my confined space appear even smaller, almost claustrophobic, without reducing the physical size of the box. This is the primary reason that I have been working with various textures.
  • Stop motion work - This was my starting thought of introducing a multimedia aspect into my project, this is what led me onto the sound practice of recording the sounds of rain and traffic. Even though the sounds weren't clear, it was a valuble experience as to how I could effectively record these sounds. 
  • Contextual - The artists that I have been researching have influenced the materials I have been experimenting with, as well as the direction that I wish to take my work in. 
  • Fabric -I choose to cover my prototype box in thin fabric/netting so people are able to see into the box, as well as being able to see through it. I feel like this material heightens the idea of people being present but seperated from those that surrounds them, a concept that many people feel throughout their lives.
  • Wire - I started working with wire as part of my experiment into textures, but initially I felt that I could develop a few quick thoughts into interesting ideas, but I feel as if I strayed from my strongest idea and I have stopped most of my wire experiments to focus on developing my space concept. 
Through the production of this large scale box, I hope to play on peoples sense of space as well as a natural sense of paranoia through the use of one way glass, audio recordings and 'live sound', and fears of exclusion and separation.

I hope that I am able to achieve these very ambitious aims and do them justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment